A new handbook outlining key client protection guidelines for microfinance institutions (MFIs) is now available for download.
The tool, developed by the Smart Campaign in collaboration with the Microinsurance Network, is designed specifically for MFIs that serve as intermediaries and offer microinsurance products provided by an external insurance company. With the title "Smart Microinsurance: An Overview for Microfinance Institutions on Incorporating Client Protection Practices into Microinsurance", the handbook covers the following phases of the microinsurance process:
- Introducing the client to microinsurance
- Collecting and protecting client information
- Activating the insurance policy
- Collecting premiums and on-going customer service
- Responding to claims
It also provides:
- Guidelines for appropriate product design
- Guidelines for partnering with other service providers
- Social performance ratios for evaluating the effect of microinsurance on clients.
The tool is available in English, Spanish and French and can be searched for in the Capacity Building Tools Inventory on this website, or downloaded at the links below.