Microinsurance expert briefs financial sector
The Philippine Star, 4 August 2009
MANILA, Philippines - Microinsurance expert Michael McCord conducted a series of meetings last month with rural banks, insurance companies, government regulators, mutual benefit associations (MBAs) and technical assistance groups interested in the promotion microinsurance products and services for microentrepreneurs.
McCord is recognized internationally as an expert in the microinsurance, and is concurrent president of the Microinsurance Centre.
McCord helped create synergies between formal insurance providers and appropriate delivery channels in order to increase access by low-income markets to specially-designed and effectively-managed insurance products.
The discussion sought to provide field lessons and good practices in other countries as well as potential solutions to perceived gaps in product development, service delivery and market education in the context of Philippine microinsurance.
A significant outcome of the event was the declaration by participants of their commitment to contribute to the improved design of microinsurance products, delivery of services, and the flow of information that can assist in the enhanced capacity of the microfinance industry for microinsurance.
Read full article
Recruiting a Director for LeapFrog Labs
LeapFrog is recruiting a Director for LeapFrog Labs to be based in Edinburgh, UK. The director will be responsible for all accounting and reporting functions and will collaborate intensively with our small teams in Johannesburg and Sydney, seeking synergies with our investments in Africa and Asia.
The fund seeks to hire an experienced director to work directly with LeapFrog’s UK‐based partner in the Edinburgh office.
The ideal candidate will have:
- International management experience, preferably in developing countries
- Experience in microfinance, commercial financial services and/or economic development
- A graduate degree in a field related to the above
- Experience in obtaining and managing technical assistance grants from bi‐lateral and multilateral institutions
- Significant understanding of the microfinance and/or insurance or related industries
- The ability to build and maintain relations in the wider microfinance network of investors, companies, grant institutions, etc.
- Demonstrated leadership in managing both people and process and ability to quickly build a new team while managing many different activities
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial and/or intrapreneurial orientation and comfort working with limited direction
- Transparent communication skills and a track record of collaboration and collegiality
- A willingness to travel to project sites as necessary
The initial contract will be competitive and one year renewable. LeapFrog is an equal opportunity employer. The expected start date is 1 October, 2009.
Contact Ariel Stern at firstname.lastname@example.org