The International Association of Insurance Supervisors (IAIS), the Access to Insurance Initiative (A2ii) and the Network are co-organising the 10th Consultative Forum on “Scaling up agricultural index insurance in Africa: Building disaster resilience of smallholder farmers”, along with the African Insurance Organisation (AIO). The event will be held in Kampala, Uganda on the afternoon of Wednesday, 24 May and morning of Thursday, 25 May.
Agricultural index-based insurance has shown some promise in helping smallholder farmers manage production risks. It can also contribute to enhancing national disaster resilience by providing financial protection to a vulnerable community that often forms a large part of developing country populations. However, much more needs to be done to scale up index insurance in a sustainable way.
Building on insights from the Asia-Pacific region stemming from the 9th Consultative Forum held in Singapore, this Forum will focus on the challenges and opportunities of agricultural index-based insurance and explore how the various stakeholders – insurance supervisors, the industry, policymakers and donors – can cooperate and align their respective roles to achieve sustainability and scale while ensuring fair treatment of smallholder farmers in Africa.
The event will take place alongside the 44th AIO Conference and General Assembly, and it is expected that approximately 60 high-ranking representatives from African insurance supervisory authorities, the industry and the public sector will be in attendance. The objective of the Consultative Forums is to stimulate dialogue between policymakers, supervisors and the industry that is critical in fostering knowledge and sound policymaking in the field of inclusive insurance.
A video recording of the event is available at this link
Download all the presentations from the event below:
Introductory presentation: "Setting the scene: Why is scale important for agricultural insurance and what are the roles of the various stakeholders in achieving scale?" - Peter Wrede, World Bank | EN | FR
Panel: "Perspectives and challenges in scaling up and providing value in agricultural insurance" - Moderated by Lemmy Manje, Consultant:
- "The Uganda Agriculture Insurance Scheme" - Protazio Sande, Insurance Regulatory Authority Uganda | EN | FR
- "ACRE Africa: Role of Stakeholders in Agricultural Insurance" - Rahab Kariuki, ACRE Africa | EN | FR
- "Scaling up agriculture index insurance in Africa: Building disaster reslilience for small holder farmers" - Isaac Magina, Swiss Re | EN | FR
Product workshop: Introductory presentations:
- "Preparing and assessing an agricultural index insurance product proposal" - Agrotosh Mookerjee, Risk Shield Consultants | EN | FR
- "Kenyan Experience: Product Approval for Agricultural Index Insurance" - Joseph Owuor, Insurance Regulatory Authority Kenya | EN | FR
- "Index Based Livestock Insurance: Borana Program, Ethiopia" - Melkachew Temesgen, Oromia Insurance Company Ethiopia | EN | FR
Download the resulting Briefing Note here.
For any further questions, please contact the Secretariat.